Northwest Native: Show & Tell Tuesday: Beauty Routine

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Show & Tell Tuesday: Beauty Routine

This is my first time participating in Show and Tell Tuesdays with Andrea since most of the topics aren't all that relevant to my life. To be honest, a beauty routine isn't all that relevant to my life either (you'll see what I mean below) but it is something that I do at least five days a week.

*None of the brands mentioned below are compensating me for this! I'm just pretty brand-loyal when it comes to my beauty routine.*

This is how my routine starts. I wash my face with some sort of cleanser (it's always changing, I don't have one that I must use, so I use what I have around or what's cheapest--see what I mean about my beauty routine not being a priority?). When my mom allowed me to start wearing makeup (sixth grade?), we went to the Clinique counter. I got the whole skincare system. I've since stopped using the facial cleanser, and I stopped using the toner for years but just picked it back up again because we had about six bottles in varying degrees of fullness under the sink in my parents' house when my mom asked me to clean out anything that was mine. I decided to take them all and start using them again. (They're also all different numbers...you're supposed to use the one best suited for your skin type but I'm cheap with my beauty routine so I'm just gonna use any and all of them!) The one constant has been the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I can't imagine switching at this point. I hate when I run out because it's expensive, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. (They also have a gel version, but since I have combination skin and use powder foundation, my skin got flaky after using it and applying foundation.)
Clarifying Lotion (aka 'toner' in my vocabulary)
Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+

On to the actual makeup. This is how I store my 'every day' makeup (though there's a lot more than what I use every day in here).
Organizer - similar

Here's my base. Yes, I'm a BareMinerals junkie. Next time I need to buy more foundation I'm definitely going with the matte. I have combination skin and it gets oily throughout the day. I don't even want to guess how old this blush is. *insert see no evil monkey emoji*
Foundation in 'Fairly Light'
Warmth
Blush in 'Blush Pearl'
You can also get a 'Get Started' kit like I did when I first started using BareMinerals. It comes with foundation, warmth, primer, a flawless face brush, and mineral veil. I swear when I got it it came with blush instead of primer.

These are the brushes I use to apply those products, all are by BareMinerals too.
Full Coverage Kabuki Brush
Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush
Flawless Face Brush (used for Warmth)
Blush Brush - similar

I use Mineral Veil to set my makeup every time. I also usually apply more mid-day. As I said above, my skin gets oily during the day.
Mineral Veil
Twist-Up Brush - similar

Most days I use these things for eye makeup. I used to use the BareMinerals powder to fill in my eyebrows but they discontinued it and I never knew how I would live. But a saleswoman recommended Benefit Brow Zings and now I don't know how I would live if they discontinue this. I love it. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion, one neutral eye shadow color (pictured is BareMinerals 'Lemon Zinger'), some eyelash curler from Target, and Maybelline Great Lash (in brownish black because I'm so freakishly pale). I use the white shadow in the little Clinique set (a hand-me-down from my mom at some point) as a sort of highlighter in the corner of my eyes and below my eyebrow arch--I apply it with the long, skinny brush.
Sonia Kashuk Eyelash Curler
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Benefit Brow Zings
Maybelline Great Lash
Eyecolor
Double Ended Precision Brush

The majority of weekend days I don't wear makeup, if I'm being honest. (I didn't wear any Saturday or Sunday.) But when I do, sometimes I'll wear more than what I show above (though it's becoming less and less frequent). I used to have brown BareMinerals twist-up eyeliner (I refuse to use eye pencils that have to be sharpened--never again!) but I ran out and haven't replaced it. Knowing my luck, it's been discontinued. So in place of eyeliner, I use the angled brush, wet it, and use the 'bronze leaf' shadow below as eyeliner. I use the pink brush and put on the 'cocoa' eyeshadow along with a neutral like I use every day.
Soft Focus Liner Brush
Eye Shaping Brush (new version is double ended)
Eyecolor
Liner Shadow

Thought I'd add a little bonus here at the end. I don't wear lipstick usually because I feel awkward. It's just hard to start because since I never wear it, it feels like I look weird. And although no one on the street knows that I never wear lipstick, the fact that I know it's different makes me feel like everyone thinks I look weird. I have a reddish lipstick and a nude lipstick, but I've been wanting a bubblegum shade that's been pretty popular. I was going to spring for a MAC lipstick (would've been my first) but I found this Revlon Matte Balm pencil at Target on Sunday and decided to buy it instead. The color is exactly what I was looking for. It looked a little strange on without makeup (I tried it on once I got home from Target on Sunday) but I think it'll look good when I'm actually wearing makeup.
Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm (my color is 'showy')

To summarize: I'm a BareMinerals girl and I don't see that changing any time soon. I couldn't live without Benefit Brow Zings or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I don't wear a ton of makeup and often don't wear it at all on weekends. I'm not even that good at applying it.

If you have any questions, ask! I'll try to answer them...but if they involve makeup terminology or techniques I'll probably either have no idea or I won't know how to phrase my answer. :)

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. Love my bareMinerals too!! This link-up makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use some bareMinerals, too! I swear... those little jars last FOREVER, right?! I just wish the stuff wasn't so messy. There's gotta be an easier way, right? I actually have been wanting to try their new serum/foundation stuff. Have you seen it? I saw it advertised on QVC one night. But I'm really, REALLY trying not to buy any expensive make-up right now until I use up some of what I have. I have also been wanting to try a bright lipstick, but feel like I look like an idiot when I wear it. I tried one not too long ago, but I felt like I was going to be in a dance recital. Maybe I just need to find one that works for me!
    Anyway, fun post today! Have a good one!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with ya on the never wearing makeup thing. I was gonna link up and then thought "ehhh I would actually have to put makeup on." I do love that Revlon color....super pretty!! Happy Tauesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live without Clinique's Dramatically Moisturizing Gel. I swear they make the best products!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way...I totally use any products I (or my mom) have left laying around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a ton of bare minerals eye shadows in my arsenal too! I used to be pretty brand loyal when it came to face products like you, until my face started freaking out. Now I cant find anything that works for me anymore. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Clinique's line too, but have so much to learn about makeup. I don't really wear anything but sunscreen, chapstick, and moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh hey do you happen to like bare minerals!? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started with the whole Clinique line in the very beginning too! I think I still have the toner, but I never knew what it was for, so thank's for "clarifying" that for me! I switched from the moisturizer to the Aveeno Positively Radiant one because it felt lighter though. I'm the exact opposite of you though- I definitely wear makeup more on the weekends! Mostly just because I have more time to put it on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started using bare minerals & I can see where I can get hooked myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those two clinique products - such classics and I can't stop using them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some of the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+...maybe a sample? That I inherited from my fiance's mother. Slightly afraid of its age...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is it about that Clinique counter? My grandmother took me there when I was about 13 to get the same lesson on skincare. I would never be able to write a post like this because I change up what I wear almost daily - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha your comment about lipstick making you look weird is the same thought I have when I try some. A lip tint? Sure. Redish lip balm? Sure. Lipstick that you have to reapply once it starts to fall off your lips,? No thanks! When I first started wearing face makeup, I splurged on the Bare Minerals starter kit and would apply it every morning. Then I stopped for a few years and now when I just wear concealer to hide blemishes, my bf always notices and mentions that it looks fake and worse than just the red mark. I disagree but whatever. So no face makeup for me. I have SUPER dry skin so if I try to wear even just a BB cream, it starts to flake after a few hours and looks just awful. I'm such a low-key makeup girl. Just a black eyeshadow used as eyeliner and mascara and I'm done. Some days, I don't even bother if we're not going out or seeing anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a lipstick girl either, but I kind of want to start to be...I feel like you can tell such a difference when you have some color on your lips! I am going to have to try that out lip pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The clinique cleansing trio is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete