Northwest Native: Blogfessions.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Blogfessions.

As a baby blogger, I wanted to share some of the things I've learned, the things it took me waaay too long to learn, and just a few other things about my blogging experience.

Found via Pinterest - original source unknown 

HTML for Dummies // For one, I didn't know that in Blogger, you have to switch between 'Compose' and 'HTML' when writing posts. I learned this when I was claiming my blog for Bloglovin'. Katie was nice enough to point out that I needed to paste the code in the HTML side. Oops. I had already had my blog for at least a month. (I had just seen another blogger's post to claim their blog and theirs was the full address too, so I thought it was right, okay?!)

Bloglovin' // Speaking of Bloglovin', I kept seeing it in giveaways. 'Follow me on Bloglovin' for an extra entry!' And I would internally scoff and think there was no way I was signing up for another thing online. I had too many usernames and passwords to countless sites. But now I'm a believer. I used to just use my Blogger feed to read posts. The problem with that was it wouldn't let me follow some blogs, so I just had to remember to go and read those. It also didn't tell me when I had read a post, so I'd have to remember where I was on the list if I needed to go back to it later. Bloglovin' makes keeping up with 743820 blogs much more efficient. I don't remember why I decided to get it, but I'm so happy that I did!

Under Wraps // This is probably my biggest 'confession' so to speak. I have only told two people that I know about my blog. I told Michael. He knows what it's called, and he read at least my very first post. He doesn't read it now because he thinks I'll be embarrassed. I will be if he makes fun of me, so that may or may not be true. (He already has this weird high-pitched voice he does when he knows I'm blogging. He always says, 'Hey guys, it's Mattie checkin' in!' I promise he loves me and is supportive; we just poke fun at each other a lot.) I told my mom in passing. I just said that I started a blog, but left it at that. That's why I didn't have links to my social media platforms on my page before updating my blog design, because I don't post bloggy things on them (I know if I want a wider audience/more views I should do this, but I'm not really ready for every single Facebook friend or Instagram follower I have to read this). I also didn't add Facebook to my social media buttons because it is probably the least 'bloggy' of my social media outlets. Anyway, just because I don't post blog things on social media doesn't mean we can't connect! I also have Snapchat, but I only check it to see if Michael's cousin snapped any pictures or videos of her baby and I never send any.
Bloglovin'

Photos // For a month and a half, every time I wanted to use a picture from my phone, I emailed it to myself, saved it to my computer, and then uploaded it to my post. I saw the 'from your phone' option, but you had to download something and I was all, 'eh, maybe some day.' Well some day came and my life was changed. Seriously, downloading Google Photos has made blogging sooo much quicker and easier. Plus I love that you can make collages right in the mobile app! So so great. (Side note: I have a Mac, and for some reason if I right click and save a picture from the Internet, it won't save correctly. I seriously have to screen shot ANY picture I want to use from the Internet. Anyone know how I can fix that?)

Replying to Comments // Thankfully, I caught on to the whole 'no-reply blogger' thing pretty quickly. I didn't catch on that I could email back my replies to comments... So for a while, I went to my post and replied in the actual comments. (I really feel like Blogger should email when someone's comment has been replied to, but I digress.) So now I reply by email, and I'm so sad when I can't reply to the no-reply bloggers' comments.

Link-ups, scheduling and content // I had been a regular reader of a few blogs for quite some time before I started mine. I didn't think I'd ever have anything to write about. But here's the thing--Monday I do a weekend recap and Friday I do Friday Favorites...so that just leaves three days in between! And there are so many link-ups that just hand you the topic on a silver platter and then that day's post is set! I decided to schedule my posts at 5 a.m. my time, because it seemed early enough but not too early. But I didn't figure that out completely for a few days. I scheduled the date and time, and the next day the post hadn't published! And then I though maybe I have to click 'publish' while it's scheduled... I Google'd it to be sure, but I was still terrified clicking publish. I always wonder if it might just post right that second even if it's scheduled (yes, I sometimes always still feel like this!). Lastly, I love when my posts look like this.
I don't use a planner. I bought one and tried, but I just can't do it. So to remember what link-ups I'm participating in (and also to work in posts I've created) I create posts in advance. No, I don't complete all of them super far in advance. Some of them are written way in advance for various reasons...mostly that I just don't have a free day to post it, so I have to push it back. Some of them are just titles so I'll remember what I need to write for that day when I get around to it. But it is so helpful to have the link-ups I want to participate in scheduled so I can fill in the gaps with other posts. This is an old screenshot, so these posts have all been published now!

If you have any advice for a new blogger, I'm all ears! I've learned a lot but I feel like there's a ton more that I could learn!

Linking up with Holly for her Waiting on Wednesday series!
I'm excited to announce that Holly chose this as a featured Waiting on Wednesday post! You can see all featured posts here.

-Mattie

20 comments:

  1. This info is EXCELLENT, Mattie! Thanks! I still feel like I have so much to learn, but your tips are very helpful. I'm saving this post and will be working on some of this later. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    BB
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my planner very sparsley. It's basically to just write down what posts I need to have scheduled. But it's just titles. I can't deal with washi tape and highlighters and junk. Too much work.


    Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, love that you call yourself a "baby blogger." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things to learn in the world of blogging. I feel like things change often too. One day we are all on Bloglovin, then they make us angry and we all threaten to switch to Feedly but actually don't. There are all kinds of picture editing apps and websites, and all kinds of things we can do. I say do what you like :) It's your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also loved that you call yourself a baby blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all your tips! I still have so much more to learn!! These are awesome. We are all in this blogging struggle together haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you're on top of the game lady!
    I never did the phone photo thing yet... I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mattie, you are doing GREAT with your new blog! I think we've all experienced your struggles at one time or another, but from me personally, kudos to you for having the patience to research your problems. I would rather someone just tell me or show me. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even realize you were a new-ish blogger, you're a total pro Mattie!

    Thanks for sharing your tips. I'm always curious about other people's insights on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I am constantly learning new things about blogging! Once I get a handle on one thing something else pops up. I definitely think you've got it handled though! I enjoy reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha love it. I kept my blog secret for a year but then some of my classmates started finding it on accident because there just aren't that many people talking about becoming a dentist on the internet so I figured I guess I better announce it myself! And I actually prefer to answer peoples comments below because then others can see it as well, especially if they have questions

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good you caught being a no-reply blogger early - that's the worst! I'd be lost without keeping a calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this whole post! haha I am always kind of embarrassed when people I know say "I read your blog!" but at the same time I'm really happy that they do so! I have wished for forever that google would email someone if I reply to their comment on my blog in the comment section. maybe someday (hopefully soon) they will change that! and that is so weird about your mac. what does it save the picture as when you try to save it?? I wish I had a fix for you! thank goodness for screen shoting!! I wrote a long post on blog tips a few weeks ago, you can click HERE to see it if you want :)


    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  14. For an admitted "baby blogger", you seem to have a lot figured out. I'm still ignorant to a lot of things, but I've figured most of this out as well. As for your "under wraps" status, I'm different...but it's because I blog also to keep in contact with family and friends on the other side of the world from me. I feel it's a way for them to keep up with my thoughts and my life when physically I live so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ummm...some of these blogfessions I can totally fess up to!! I haven't even told my mom about my blog, oops! But Kyle knows and allows me that time to blog, comment, follow up, etc. It's wonderful. As for the replying to comments, I did the same thing!!! A month after I started it, I realized I could just email the person, and then I went back and emailed several people saying I was so sorry that I clearly didn't understand blogland.

    Sometimes the schedule bites me because I forget that i've scheduled a post and then it posts before I'm ready, like my most recent post....oops!

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely know where you are coming from on a lot of these! I haven't told many people I know about my blog. I've put things on Pinterest and I've added my site to instagram, but I have never made an "official" announcement. The HTML thing was something I had to figure out, too! Luckily, someone told me about the no-reply blogger, because I for sure used to get on a reply to people via the post. The whole blog thing is definitely a huge learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your list...I don't know what I would do if I hadn't figured out you can schedule posts. Probably wake up, post my blog, and go back to sleep! Haha A lot of it you just learn with time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummmm this whole FROM YOUR PHONE thing does not work for me. It just brings up pics from like google plus. Fixxxxx itttt! See look you are teaching me things too :) Also I don't have mine linked to facebook or twitter. that is my next step too. And J makes fun of my blog too all in good fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great list for new bloggers! I would add something critical about photos. The layout of your main column should always be full width, meaning you have to adjust your photos to either be the full width of your main column or integrate them into the text by left justifying or right justifying them. It gives blogs a cleaner look and if you're working hard to take and edit beautiful photos, I guarantee your readers will want to see them full size.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So great! I can say, "we've all been there!". As for link-ups, I created a link-up page. Copying/pasting where I was linking up each day got to be a bit much! You can check out my page here - http://www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html. Thank you so much for sharing at Waiting on...Wednesday! I hope to see you back tomorrow!

    Holly @ www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete