Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: JURASSIC WORLD!!! and some other stuff I guess.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Weekend Recap: JURASSIC WORLD!!! and some other stuff I guess.

I'll admit, after seeing Jurassic World on Friday night, I was on a major adrenaline rush (hence the title--I wrote it just after we got home).

We saw it at Cinerama (in 3D, of course) which is this fancy movie theater owned by Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft, owner of the Blazers, Seahawks, and probably half of Seattle). They sell all local concessions--including craft beer, wine, cider, fair-trade chocolate from the local chocolate factory...even their pretzels are supposedly from a restaurant of one of Seattle's top restauranteurs. My favorite concession? Chocolate popcorn. You can get it plain or mixed with regular popcorn. We go for the mix, the salty and sweet balance is perfect.
And the movie...oh, the movie. It was amazing. It was extremely terrifying at times, sad at others, and had perfect one-liners sprinkled in throughout. Plus, it played really well off of the original. I won't say anything else because I don't want to give anything away. I have two older brothers, so I saw Jurassic Park plenty of times during childhood, so seeing this movie also had me feeling nostalgic.

On Saturday, Michael and I took the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. It takes about thirty-five minutes and the views are incredible.
I took this on our way there. It's the waterfront, including the Great Wheel, and you can see the Space Needle in the background.

I took this right as we were arriving. There were so many extravagant beach homes--I would love to own a gorgeous home on the water one day. A girl can dream!


The main street had a bunch of cute cafes and shops. This boutique had the cutest stuff. I wanted every one of those coffee mugs (I have a bit of a mug addiction).
Sadly, most of the lovely things I found were out of my price range. One boutique had a soft jersey cotton solid navy blue maxi dress. Pretty simple, kind of a high neckline but with a gorgeous open, twisted back detail...well, it was $199. So, Michael bought a t-shirt and we bought cherry cola saltwater taffy (so good!).

After shopping we realized how hungry we were. We decided to go to a pub on the water. They told us it would be a forty-five minute wait...yikes. I took a couple of pictures while we waited.
It ended up only taking about ten or fifteen minutes, thankfully!

The wait for food, however, was a little longer. We got to sit on the patio with a view of the water. Here's my lunch date! Unfortunately you can't see the pretty view behind him.

The wait for our food was so long! It was worth it in the end though. We started with poutine that had chicken and bacon on it, along with the standard gravy and cheese curds. I know some people don't know what poutine is or think it sounds gross but oh man is it delicious. I got pulled pork served over sweet potato pie. I'd never had sweet potato pie so I was nervous, but that really made the dish! Michael had seafood verde.

We were pretty full after that goodness, but there's always room for ice cream! We went to Mora Iced Creamery which made a list of top ten ice cream shops in the country in 2012. It was obviously popular based on the line out the door and down the sidewalk. I got Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoreo. It was the perfect ending to our little afternoon!
We walked to the waterfront with our ice cream, found a bench to eat, then headed to the ferry when we finished.

Michael took a selfie of us on the ferry ride back.

The Seattle skyline welcomed us home!

On Sunday, I went to make a return (two weekends in a row!), we meal prepped, and we made homemade pizza.
We each made one because we had different visions, but both of us ate both pizzas (not all of it, there are plenty of leftovers). I chose pancetta, mozzarella, and baby arugula and Michael made a Mexican pizza.
I'll be honest, I had another two pieces after this.

It was such a good weekend! Definitely squeezed in our fair share of cheat meals, but all the walking we did made up for it (almost)! I didn't even go to the gym on Saturday and I did pretty well!
Saturday // Sunday

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

I'm linking up with Biana for Weekending and Ashley for Monday Madness!

Linking up with Astleigh for The Pick!

-Mattie

19 comments:

  1. Mmmm, poutine. Now I'm going to have to try adding chicken and bacon to it next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the new Jurassic Park. I've watched all the others! But, with two babies, I'll have to wait for it to come out on video, but you've fueled my excitement!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband saw it at the Cinerama too and got the Choc popcorn!! I was so jealous ... Looks like a great weekend!! SUCH nice weather! Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you liked the new Jurassic movie, can't wait to see it! Your trip to the island looks beautiful! Oh and that Mexican pizza looks delish :) Feel free to share that recipe!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poutine is my favorite! I wish it was more available where I live! All of the food looks delicious! And I'm jealous of your movie theater- I usually melt in chocolate when I'm home, but it's definitely not sold in our theaters! Looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...that popcorn looks DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! And you had such a fun weekend. I would love to visit Seattle and its surrounding areas one day. The closest I've been is Vancouver and Victoria. I loved them, though.
    Have a great week!
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard great things about the movie! Can't wait to see it!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay well first off, drooling. Secondly, we waited to see Jurassic World because we want to see it in IMAX! And it was sold out. But I don't know if our viewing will be as wonderful because those "concessions" sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island! Mora Iced Creamery is our favorite place to go while we're there! We're going while my family is here this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There really are few things better than homemade pizzas!!! The little island hopping you did looks like a lot of fun! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ferry cruise sounds perfect and the main street area looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is always room for ice cream! Looks like a great weekend, Mattie! You make me want to plan a trip to Seattle SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a good weekend. I think seeing That movie 3d was Be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see Jurassic World! I actually haven't seen the other movies, but the hype has got me wanting to see it for sure. Small world - my Great Aunt & Uncle live in Bainbridge! Looks like you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need your movie theater to open a movie theater here. OMG. The views of Seattle are so pretty! I want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work on the steps!!! And the food looks delicious! Yummy. I haven't seen the Jurassic movie, I only saw the original and that scared me enough at the time.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What gorgeous views of Seattle and Bainbridge Island!
    I would love to go out there someday (never been further west of Colorado) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had an awesome time! Your pictures are all beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw Jurassic World this weekend too and loved it! So good!

    ReplyDelete