Northwest Native: There's a potato bug in my water fountain!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

There's a potato bug in my water fountain!

A while back (could've been a few months, could've been two years--I have no clue!) this dialect quiz was making the rounds. It fascinated me to see how accurate mine was, and other people's too! I thought it'd be fun to list the questions and my answers (in bold) and you can compare and contrast. This post is long, but it's not really a lot of words, just a lot of line breaks. Sorry!

How would you address a group of two or more people?
you all
yous/youse
you lot
you guys
you 'uns
yinz
you
other
y'all

Do you call the sweet spread that is put on a cake frosting or icing?
frosting
icing
frosting and icing refer to different things
both
neither
other
*My alternate answer is that they refer to different things; for example, to me, icing would be on a cinnamon roll, but I'd never refer to it as icing on a cake, and since the question said cake...I went with frosting.

What you do call a big road on which you drive relatively fast?
highway
freeway
parkway
turnpike
expressway
throughway/thru-way
a freeway is bigger than a highway
a freeway is free (i.e. doesn't charge tolls); a highway isn't
a freeway has limited access (no stoplights, no intersections), whereas a highway can have stoplights and intersections
other

What do you call the night before Halloween?
gate night
trick night
mischief night
cabbage night
goosy night
devil's night
devil's eye
I have no word for this
other
*I think I've heard the term 'mischief night' but I've never referred to the night before Halloween as anything.

What do you call the insect that flies around in the summer and glows in the dark?
lightning bug
firefly
I use lightning bug and firefly interchangeably
peenie wallie
I have no word for this
other
*Never seen one, but I do have a name for it! Also, 'peenie wallie'? What?

What do you call the small gray bug that curls up into a ball when it's touched?
pill bug
doodle bug
potato bug
roly poly
sow bug
basketball bug
twiddle bug
roll-up bug
wood louse
millipede
centipede
I know what this creature is, but have no word for it
I have no idea what this creature is
other

What do you call the long sandwich that contains cold cuts, lettuce and so on?
sub
grinder
hoagie
hero
poor boy
bomber
Italian sandwich
baguette
sarney
I have no word for this
other
*Honestly, I just call it a sandwich...

How do you pronounce aunt?
with the vowel in ah
to sound like ant
with the vowel in caught
I have the same vowel in ah, caught, and aunt
to sound like ain't
I use ah when referring to the general concept of an aunt, but I use ant when I refer to a specific person by name
I use ant when referring to the general concept of an aunt, but I use ah when I refer to a specific person by name
other

What do you call the large, wild cat native to the Americas?
mountain lion
cougar
puma
mountain cat
panther
catamount
mountain screamer
painter
other

What do you call an easy high school or college class?
gut
crypt course
crip course
bird
blow-off
meat
other
*The one time there's no, "I have no word for this" option...so I had to choose 'other.'

What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
sunshower
the wolf is giving birth
the devil is beating his wife
monkey's wedding
fox's wedding
pineapple rain
liquid sun
I have no term or expression for this
other

How do you pronounce been?
with the vowel in sit
with the vowel in see
with the vowel in set
other

What do you call something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general)?
kitty-corner
kitacorner
catercorner
catty-corner
kitty cross
kitty wampus
I would only use diagonal for this
I have no term for this
other
*I don't really say kitty-corner (because I just think it's weird), I do normally use diagonal, but growing up I always heard kitty-corner, so I think for the purposes of this question that makes the most sense.

What would you call a sale of unwanted items on your porch, in your yard, etc.?
tag sale
yard sale
garage sale
rummage sale
thrift sale
stoop sale
carport sale
sidewalk sale
jumble/jumble sale
car boot/car boot sale
patio sale
other

How do you pronounce the first syllable of lawyer?
rhymes with boy
rhymes with flaw
I use both pronunciations interchangeably
other

What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle?
rotary
roundabout
circle
traffic circle
traffic circus
I have no word for this
other

How do you pronounce the second syllable of pajamas?
with the vowel in jam
with the vowel in palm
other

What do you call the thing from which you might drink water in a school?
bubbler
water bubbler
drinking fountain
water fountain
other

How do you pronounce crayon?
with one syllable--rhymes with man
with two syllables--sounds like cray-ahn
with two syllables, where the second syllable rhymes with dawn
sounds like crown
other

What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road?
berm
parking
tree lawn
terrace
curb strip
beltway
verge
I have no word for this
other

What is the distinction between dinner and supper?
supper is an evening meal; dinner is eaten earlier
supper is an evening meal; dinner is the main meal
dinner takes place in a more formal setting than supper
there is no distinction; they both have the same meaning
I don't use the word supper
I don't use the word dinner
other

What do you call the small freshwater lobster often found in lakes and streams?
crawfish
crayfish
craw
crowfish
crawdad
mudbug
I have no word for this critter
other
*In restaurants they're always crawfish or crayfish--so if I were to order that (I never would), I'd say what they menu said. But to me they are crawdads!

What do you call a large motor vehicle used to carry freight?
semi
semi-truck
tractor-trailer
trailer truck
transfer truck
transport
truck and trailer
semi-trailer
18-wheeler
truck
rig/big rig
lorry
other

What do you call a traffic jam caused by drivers slowing down to look at an accident or other diversion on the side of the road?
rubberneck
rubbernecking
rubbernecking is the activity (slowing down and gawking) that causes the traffic jam, but I have no word for the traffic jam itself
gapers' block
gapers' delay
Lookie Lou
curiosity delay
gawk block
I have no word for this
other

What do you call a sweetened carbonated beverage?
soda
pop
coke
tonic
soft drink
lemonade
cocola
fizzy drink
dope
other
*Living with Michael has made me say soda sometimes and I HATE it. Californians tease me for saying pop. :(


My Map
Here is the map showing where the most similar and least similar areas are color-coded. Crazy accurate!

Most Similar Cities

Isn't it crazy how everyday words can be so different across the country?! Any big similarities or difference between our answers?

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

 

-Mattie

4 comments:

  1. This is so interesting, I had a friend from Georgia who called shopping carts, buggies and soda, pop. I always thought it was funny! Interesting how just a few states away and we can talk so differently.

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin said berm to me the other day and I told him that was a made up word. I had to google it. How was sandwich not an answer? I love this. I got Seattle, Spokane and Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we're definitely from the same place! My answers are the exact same, except I pronounce been like the name Ben. Still, crazy similar. In most cases, your fine print explanations are even the same as what mine would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So fun!!!! I've seen it before but am glad to "play along" again.
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete