Northwest Native: Literary Ladies Summer Reading Challenge!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Literary Ladies Summer Reading Challenge!

I don't normally post on Sundays, but I decided to participate in a reading challenge! I just want to throw a little disclaimer out there. I'm not really expecting to finish...ten books in three months is A LOT for me. So don't judge me too hard if I fail. :)
Hosts: Kari, Krystal, Kristen

The Categories & My Choices

  1. A YA Book - Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
  2. Non US Author - Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  3. A book that was recommended by a blogger - The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
  4. A book that has been on your TBR list for a year or more - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (okay, so my to-read list on Goodreads has five books I added in 2011...then I started adding books again in March of this year. This was added to that list in March of 2015, but I have actually wanted to read this for well over a year.)
  5. A book with a kickass female character - Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  6. A book that is or will be a movie - The Martian by Andy Weir
  7. A book written by a comedian or celebrity - Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
  8. A book with a one word title - Flight by Sherman Alexie
  9. A suspenseful book - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
  10. A book about summer/with summer in the title/somehow related to summer - I need suggestions! Every other book listed I had already wanted to read. I have plenty of others on my to-read list, but none of the titles or descriptions say if they have anything to do with summer. I searched 'summer' on Goodreads and was looking at the highest rated matches, but I think getting suggestions commented/reading other people's choices in the link-up will ensure that I end up reading a good book, not just finding something random to fulfill the requirement.
I was going to talk briefly about each of my choices, explaining why I wanted to read them or how I heard about them, etc. but I figured just the list is good for now. I can list the explanations as I read them (there will be link-ups to report our progress on the 21st of July and August and the final result on September 21st).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull this off. I'm going to have to be more diligent about reading. If I don't finish in time, though, I'm going to just continue posting about my progress until I'm done! At least this will help me check off some books that are on my very long to-read list, even if I don't finish in time! I'm starting off with Wild, since it was next on my list to read anyway.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

15 comments:

  1. I'm reading We Were Liars for my book about summer. Kristen suggested it and it's been on my to-read list for awhile. That was the category I had the most trouble with!

    I loved The Husband's Secret though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some good ones on here!! Americanah was one of the most well-written books I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read the Martian! Gosh every list Ive read so far makes me want to change a book on my own haha!! Thanks for joining the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I may have to join this!! And for a summer one, you could try Summer Sisters by Judy Blume!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My chances of finishing my list are pretty iffy, also. But I figured, there's no harm in starting the challenge! Worst case scenario, I read a couple more things than I would have if not participating. I've seen The Martian on a bunch of lists - I might have to change mine to add it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited about this challenge! Have you tried Beach House by Jane Green? It was a light summer read, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read Americanah as well. I need to get on that. The Martian - I almost gave up because of all the math/science talk...then somewhere the characters really clicked with me, and I enjoyed it. I picked a book for the last category based on typing "summer" in goodreads, reading reviews, and picking one. Sometimes I like going with a book that no one else has recommended to me just to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try one of these out. I've been making it a point to do more reading this summer and recently picked up Grey. But, I think I was expecting more than just the retell of the same Fifty Shades of Grey story from Christians point of view. So, I'm really bored with it!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think about The Husband's Secret. I really enjoyed her other novel Big Little lies. I really enjoyed Someday, Someday, Maybe! Sharp Objects ticked me off. I hated everyone in that book. That seems to be a theme with Flynn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same boat - ten books is A LOT for me! I love that you're committed to finishing the challenge even if you don't get through them all this summer. I think I may have to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Art of Racing In The Rain was so good, be prepared for tears. I really liked a book called Blue Jeans and Coffee Beans it took place at the beach over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up with us! I've wanted to read Wild and The Husband's Secret for a while now (We read Big Little Lies for the book club last year and it was a good read!).
    For a summer-y book, I'd recommend We Were Liars or My Life Next Door if you're into YA. I've read and reviewed both and think they are both worth reading, especially the latter.
    Again, thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed! It was SO good! I think you will love it too. She's such a strong woman and is a great role model for getting things done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOoh love your pics. First time linking up for me! I started reading Lauren Graham's book, but I haven't finished it! I really should... I might change mine... :) XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  15. I literally went onto Goodreads and typed in the search box under titles "summer" and found one.. the reviews seem ok so I hope I can get through it lol

    ReplyDelete