Northwest Native: I've got baggage, y'all.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

I've got baggage, y'all.

I wrote this post probably within the first week or two of having this blog. I was waiting for a day when I had writer's block, but then I realized it'd be perfect for Christina's link-up, 'Own it'! If you want to know some weird stuff about me, read on!

I thought embarrassing childhood photos were appropriate since I'm owning it! Above I'm wearing a 'tattoo choker' with beads on it. And how sweet are my Winnie the Pooh overalls?! It's okay to be jealous.

1. When I was little, I remember three things I said I wanted to be when I grew up. A mom, a ballerina, and an apple picker.

Yes, an apple picker. I had a romanticized idea of it in my head. I imagined just leisurely strolling through an orchard with a cute little basket casually picking apples. I didn't imagine hours on my feet constantly picking apples, likely in the hot sun.

2. When it comes to dessert, I'm a chocolate/caramel/coconut/marshmallow/whatever other delicious non-fruit sweets you can come up with person. I'll eat fruit desserts sometimes. In fact, whenever we go get fro-yo I always tell myself I should just get fruit as my toppings. Yeah, that never happens.

I'm also not a fan of what I like to call 'cooked fruit.' I especially hate cooked apple. Which means I hate apple pie. I realize this is un-American of me, and I'm okay with that. (I promise not all of these are about apples, just the first two, apparently...)

3. I also hate bits (as my family calls them). My brother and I share this trait. Brownies or banana bread with walnuts? NOPE. White chocolate macadamia nut cookies? PASS. Pecan pie? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I do, however, like crunchy peanut butter and sandwich bread that has all the seeds and stuff in it. True story, I used to refer to it as 'nutty nut bread.' Yep, I was a cool kid.

4. The first three of these all have to do with food in some way. I think that probably says more about me than the list of facts as a whole.

5. I get cold way too easily. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life. A lot of Californians went to my college, and probably 99% of them complained about the weather nonstop (tell my why you went here again?). Anyway, my freshman year roommate (who became one of my best friends) is from California and even she sometimes thought I was ridiculous when I was cold.

My hands and feet are also pretty much always ice cubes. I blame it on poor circulation since they're huge.

6. Once when I was little (probably about five), we were sitting down eating pizza for dinner. I was sitting next to my step-dad. He had a beer and I had a cream soda, and apparently the cans looked similar. I ended up spitting that beer out alllll over the counter. And then I ran into my bedroom and cried because I thought I was going to die. (Wait, you mean drinking alcohol before the age of 21 doesn't automatically make you drop dead?)

7. I hardly ever paint my fingernails. They end up chipping approximately 17 seconds after I finish painting them. And then I have to fight my desire to peel it off in the biggest pieces I can. My toenails, however, must always be painted.

8. We had two pet goats when I was a kid. The first was terrifying. He would run after you and try and butt you with his horns. His name? Tinkerbell. He was probably the scariest animal to ever have that name. (Yes, he was also a boy...named Tinkerbell. Maybe that's why he was so angry.)

Our second goat was named Blinkie. We got him when he was a baby (a kid, if we're using correct terminology here) and he loved me from the beginning. Blinkie would chase me too...but not in a scary way. We would tie a lead on him and I would take him into our yard, drop the lead, and run and he would follow me anywhere, as loyal as a Golden Retriever (honestly I've never had a Golden, but I feel like I heard they're super loyal?).

9. You know the handy trick we learned in elementary school about multiples of 9? Multiples of nine always add up to nine, and you just subtract one from the number you're multiplying it by, then the next digit will make it add up to 9. So, 9 x 8 = 72 because 8 - 1 = 7 and 9 - 7 = 2. Anyway, I loved that trick when I first learned it. But now it drives me crazy. This is weird, but I'm a numbers person. I hate that multiples of nine are in a never-ending cycle of 9. For example, 72. 7 + 2 = 9, 9 + 9 = 18, 1 + 8 = 9. IT'S JUST NINE FOREVER. The same goes for other multiples of three. 33...3 + 3 = 6, 6 + 6 = 12, 1 + 2 = 3. MAKE IT STOP! I realize this makes me sound slightly completely crazy.

10. And here's a number ten so we don't end on the dreaded never-ending nine. :)

Linking up with Astleigh for The Pick!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

14 comments:

  1. Lol, a bunch of these could have just as easily been written on my blog. Cold? Check. Pet goats? Check. Driving yourself crazy with numbers? Check. I'm more of a nail polish smudger than a chipper, but my nails are often bare as well. I've been telling myself for about a month now I need to do them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. I cannot have a brownie with nuts in them, eww. I also wanted to be a momy when I was a kid, that was my dream and goal in life was to be married young and have a family.
    liz @ sundays with sophie

    http://www.sundayswithsophie.com/2015/06/being-mother-id-never-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like cooked fruit either! And toenails must always be painted. I never even knew about the 9 trick! Learn something new everyday...although it sounds way harder than how I learned using my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny! And made me wish that 'apple picker' was a real job in the way that you described it! Sign me up to leisurely stroll with a cute basket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah this was hilarious to read! Especially the beer part lol. Thanks for sharing! Also, I want to be an apple picker now. That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you wanted to be an apple picker, so funny! I am always cold as well!!! Also, we had goats growing up too and they were SO fun!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was little I would always say I wanted to be a mom too! Haha I’m laughing at the beer at age five story! I am SO not a fruit as dessert person – if I’m having dessert, I’m indulging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally had those winnie the pooh overalls as a kid! :)

    Being an apple picker sounds fantastic! Sign me up. We went apple picking for my dad's birthday last year and it was awesome, so relaxing and nice.

    That is so funny you had pet goats! How awesome and rare.

    Thanks for sharing, this was so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a fan of nuts in my brownies either. Like stop trying to healthy up my dessert! Just no! And I am the same way about my fingers and toes!!! I rarely have my nails painted because they take forever to dry and chip instantly..but my toes are always, always painted. I want a baby goat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. #6 made me laugh so hard!!! and I'm totally on the same page with you about the 9 thing. Have you ever done the fingers trick? It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get cold super quickly too! It's bad, people never understand why I'm cold. And I hate nuts in my desserts. Almonds on their own, cool, in a cookie or cake GROSS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get cold super easily too! Always best to have a blanket/scarf nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 7! Oh yes - 7! I try and I try and I try to paint my fingernails. Doesn't work. They are sloppy. They chip. They smear. And, I pick off the polish. Does.not.work.

    My step-sister had a pet goat once. Then she ate it. She went through a phase where she was all about self-sustainability. Apparently, raising then eating your own food is a part of that. I almost cried when she told me because I thought that goat was so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are pretty funny! I had male cat named Tinkerbell growing up and my feet and and hands are ALWAYS cold too!!

    ReplyDelete