Northwest Native: Every Girl Link-Up: Summer Reads

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Every Girl Link-Up: Summer Reads

Today I'm linking up with Astleigh and Rachel for my first Every Girl Link-Up! This time it's all about books to read this summer. These are the books I've most recently read, what I'm currently reading, and what's next up on my list.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova // I actually read this a few months ago, but watching the movie last weekend made me remember just how good it was. It's not super light-hearted (I cried, but that may be my family connection to Alzheimer's) so you may want to be careful about reading it on the beach or at a public pool. But I highly recommend it.


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty // Another book with 'Alice' in the title. I honestly mix these titles up in my head sometimes. This was my first Liane Moriarty book. It totally sucked me in and and had me wanting to know what happened. It really kept me guessing.

Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty // I just finished reading this on Tuesday. I thought it was a good, easy read that kept me wanting more. However, there was a twist early on that I thought was extremely predictable. Thankfully, there were some more at the end. I did enjoy this book, but I liked What Alice Forgot more.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins // I started this on Tuesday after I finished Three Wishes. (While the fiancé watched the NBA finals, I worked on my June goals!) I'm already engrossed, and every time I stop reading I have to tear myself away! This had been all over the blogosphere and was constantly compared to Gone Girl so I knew I had to read it. (It's also ranked #7 in books on Amazon!)

Wild by Cheryl Strayed // This is next on my list! I've wanted to read this for a long time. I especially love that she lives in Portland now, and that the Pacific Crest Trail runs through the PNW too. I read an article before the movie came out about how Cheryl Strayed (the author) and Reese Witherspoon (who played her in the movie) are now friends in real life and I thought that was so cool.

Jodi Picoult // Jodi Picoult writes perfect summer beach reads (well, except for the emotional endings of some of them--I'm a crier, if that wasn't apparent). They're easy to read and they always have a big twist or two. I blogged about my love of her books here. I've read fifteen of her books and want to read any of them that I've missed!

If you're looking for more suggestions, you can view a list of books I've read (and what I rated them) and all the books on my crazy long to-read list on Goodreads here! (I love Goodreads; if you've never used it, it's basically Pinterest but just for books!)


What are you reading this summer? Have you read any of these? Did you like them as much as I did?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

17 comments:

  1. I l-o-v-e-d What Alice Forgot!!! So I read The Husband's Secret by the same author and liked it, but not as much... boo hoo. Wild is wonderful. I could not put it down. The Girl on the Train is next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jodi Picoult! I thought I had read all of her books but I just found two more at my local Half Price books that I've never read. Currently in the middle of Songs of the Humpback Whale! I'm going to check out your other post now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so amazed by human beings that read books. this year i think i've read one book, much to my dismay. i've started two others, but haven't finished them. when do you make the time to read?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I'll have to read some of these! I'm looking for some new summer reads!

    Keep it Classy, Keep it Country,
    Gretta Patrick <3
    chicagocountrygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read "The Girl on The Train" so bad! It looks amazing! I have to find some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read What Alice Forgot, The Husband's Seceret, and The Hypnotist's Love Story all by Liane Moriarty and loved all 3 of them!! I just purchased Three Wishes last night cannot wait to get started! Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these suggestions! I'm definitely going to check some of these out soon:)
    www.jenna-grace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these sound so good!!!
    I can't wait to read "What Alice Forgot"!
    Thanks for linking up, Mattie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Alice Forgot is next on my list of books to download! Ive heard it was good so I cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Girl on a Train last month and loved it,way better than Gone Girl (in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, watched Still Alice this weekend. It was heartwrenching, and I completely understand why she won the oscar :) I plan to read the book soon, have a happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this list! I've loved the Liane M. books too ... I've been wanting to see the "Still Alice" movie, but maybe I should go with the book first instead! (Which is better?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book is better because there's more that happens in it. The story is better. But honestly the movie is great too because the cast is fantastic!

      Delete
  13. You have such great recommendations! Still Alice is officially on my to-read list. :) "The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult is also on my list this summer...have you read it? I hear it's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I may have said this before, but I've heard such good things about Girl on a Train. Can't wait to read it! Let us know what you think!!!! :-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED WILD! I'm blogging about it this Wednesday :) be sure to check it out! Thanks for the other suggestions, I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Still Alice, even if it was super sad. I still haven't seen the movie but I've been meaning to! Glad to hear you've been loving Girl on the Train. I can't wait to read that one!

    ReplyDelete