Northwest Native: Cold Brew How-To

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Cold Brew How-To

You're loving my rhyming title, huh? A few weeks ago, I included cold brew in my Friday Favorites post. A commenter said that they'd like a tutorial, thus the idea for this blog post was born!
It's a really simple process. It takes some time, but the majority of that time is just waiting. It 'brews' for about twelve hours. You could do longer, it will just be stronger (and it's meant to be very strong and concentrated). On the flip side, I guess you could do shorter if you wanted it weaker!

Michael just Googled how to cold brew, and I'm not sure which sites he used for reference. It's so easy, the only part I had to look up is the ratio of grounds to water. This article said 1 part coffee to 4.5 parts water. For 64 ounces of water, that would be 1.5 cups of ground coffee.

All you do is pour the coffee and grounds into a container (we bought a plastic drink pitcher at Safeway) and leave them overnight! We put it in the fridge, but I think you can do it at room temp too. To filter it, we just use our regular coffee maker. You don't even have to plug it in. We just put a coffee filter in and pour the mixture directly into that and let it filter the grounds out as it drips into the coffee pot. This takes a while, because we can't pour it all in at once. There are fancier ways to filter it, so maybe you want to research those, but we just kind of did this on a whim. We bought the ground coffee and the pitcher on a regular grocery store trip and then just used what we had for everything else.
After it's all filtered, we store it in bottles like the one above in our fridge!
Like I said, it's extremely concentrated (I believe it's the iced equivalent to espresso). You don't need a lot. We pour it over ice, even though it's refrigerated.
I usually use two Sweet 'N Lows (since we have a big box of them).
Then I pour in the milk! We've used regular skim milk, cashew milk, and almond milk. They all work! I actually prefer the nut milks because I like the nutty flavor they add and they're thicker, so they make it creamier (and there are fewer calories...normally I would equate creaminess with more calories, so I call that a win!).

You can also just dilute it with water and enjoy a plain old iced coffee. The thing about cold brew is it's less acidic than hot coffee or hot coffee that has been iced, so it has a richer flavor. The first time we (okay, Michael) made it, we just used a breakfast blend. The second time we did hazelnut flavored coffee. Our next project will be making a decaf one because it is soo tasty that we want it all the time, but we can't drink the caffeinated stuff late at night!

Have you ever cold-brewed coffee at home?

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk! This post was actually chosen as a featured post by Sweet Little Ones! I was so excited to be chosen! You can see this post and all of their other featured posts here!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I will make something similar on hot summer days and it is sooo good!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try this! I must have coffee in the morning, but it's already so hot here that I can't bring myself to finish two hot cups after breakfast. I've been sticking my brewed coffee in the freezer while I get ready so it's chilled when I'm ready to drink it, but this would be a little easier and always on hand. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was convinced cold brew was super hard to make, so now I feel silly and motivated all at the same time! I love nut milk in my coffee too...I think I like cashew better than almond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried cold brewing, but I love iced coffee. I think I need to try this!!!!! Thanks for the "how-to"! :-)
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to figure out how to make iced coffee at home (ending up with poor results on numerous occasions). I'm going to try this tutorial. Hopefully I won't have to make as many trips to Dunkin Donuts anymore :)

    Happy Tuesday Mattie!
    http://www.lovecompassionatelee.com/thinkoutloud/2015/6/12/61215

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone keeps talking about this - I was wondering how to make it! I've never been a coffee drinker, but now with three kids, I'm major time considering it! haha This looks right up my alley. Do you happen to know if there is a way to filter without a coffee maker??? Thanks for linking this up with us for Tuesday Talk - I'm going to feature it!!! :) -Jess
    Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete