Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: As We Go On, We Remember...

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Weekend Recap: As We Go On, We Remember...

Does anyone remember the song I took my title from? Well, it's Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C. It was huge when I was in high school and gave me alllll the feels. Such a classic. :) I just thought it was appropriate since I attended a graduation this weekend.

Well, the weekend didn't end on a great note. Our flight out of Oakland was at 4:35. We knew it was going to be a late night, since we'd land in Portland, my parents would pick us up and drive the one hour back to their house, we'd pick up our dogs, and then start the two and a half hour drive up to Seattle. But Southwest is the airline of delays. So our flight was pushed back to 6:10 (people were still boarding at 6:10...so they didn't even make that happen). Our night was even later than we had anticipated. We got back home at 11:45. When I was in driver's ed they told us that drowsy driving caused more accidents in Washington than anything else (now that times have changed, it's probably texting). But anyway, driving while tired is something that I hate to do. If I wasn't taking so much time off this month, I would've called in to work. But I dragged myself in and promptly spilled my coffee all over my desk (this is surprisingly my first spill at work--I've been here almost two years and I'm clumsy). I ruined my mouse, went to get a new one, got it all set up...and the left click button didn't work. I went back for another replacement and that was the last one...so the IT director gave me his personal mouse. So after that whole debacle I knew I should not have come in! Oh well.

The weekend also started out on a stressful note, but it worked out and it was a great (although much too short!) weekend.

Our flight out was at 10:20 Friday morning. We left the house extra early because my mom needed to gas up her car and we wanted to stop at Starbucks. Once the gas tank was full, my mom tried to start her car--tried being the operative word. What a time for a dead battery! We frantically called my stepdad to get him to meet us (he moves soooo slowly, so waiting for him added to my stress levels). My mom called AAA and we made my dad wait with the car while we made our way to the airport. My dad drove his truck down, so we drove back up and swapped it out for my car. We made it on time, and Michael said, "I can't believe I was the calmest one--you guys were stressing out way prematurely." Well, we clearly know where I get my personality from. #likemotherlikedaughter

After boarding the plane, they informed us that the engine was leaking and they needed to check it out. We sat on the plane for an hour before we were cleared for takeoff. I'm just happy we didn't have to deplane and board a different plane!

I hardly took any pictures, and I've already typed a whoooole lot, so I'm going to make this as brief as possible. We went to Michael's sister's graduation from UC Berkeley. It wasn't the ceremony when she got to walk across the stage, though. All seven thousand graduates filed in and that took a good forty-five minutes...then there were some speeches. Doors opened at 8 a.m. and it started at 10, and it was pretty cold. We took a selfie while we waited.
 The graduation party was later that night. Michael's other sister planned it out and she did such a good job! She did all navy blue and gold decor, since that's Berkeley's colors.
I loved the banner! Those are mini bundt cakes, not just cupcakes. They are sooo good!
I had to take this close-up of the cake pops Michael's cousin made. So pretty and sooo delicious!

It was a fun weekend! We went to In 'N Out (Californians are obsessed...it's good, but I think maybe overrated?), we ate tons of Mexican food and drank margaritas at the grad party, and just hung out with Michael's family. Oh and I finally wore my jumpsuit (I have solid black) and I ended up loving it! Michael's cousin actually wore the patterned one one day and I fell in love. It's so much cuter in person, and now that I know the jumpsuit fits, is comfortable, and I like how it looks...I want the patterned one too!
 After the ceremony. You can't really tell because of the jacket, but I'm wearing my jumpsuit and lovin' it!

Sorry this has got to be the most boring weekend recap ever! The weekend was just so busy it went by so quickly and so much happened that a full recap would just bore you (even though my rants about flights and car batteries probably already did).

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

 

-Mattie

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That song used to make me cry so bad thinking about all my friends from high school. I haven't heard it in forever! Sounds like a crazy weekend but I'm glad you made it home safely! Hope you're having a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a weekend. At least there was some Starbucks in there, girl! And I've been wanting a jumpsuit soooo badly but have yet to find one that fits well. I'm still on the hunt!
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh the graduation song, I think everyone gets nostalgia hearing that play. Glad you were able to go do something fun this weekend, even if it was a little stressful. And that grad party looks adorable! I love that banner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in n out is totally overrated. i prefer chick-fil-a or even BURGERVILLE!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BURGERVILLE IS THE BEST! I definitely like it waaay better. I always have to get a mocha perk milkshake. Yum. :)

      Delete
  5. I do still remember that song! It still brings little tears to my eyes now, especially with my brother's & close friends graduation coming up soon! I absolutely love the little graduation party, so cute! I am so glad I found your blog! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must have been in high school around the same time! I just had to relisten to it on Youtube because it has been years! Is it just me, or is there something inspiring about graduation for all ages? I love the motivation and possibilities. Sorry you had such a rough time getting home. Driving while drowsy is dangerous...We've had to pull over before to nap.

    ReplyDelete