Northwest Native: Friday of a Five-Day Weekend

Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday of a Five-Day Weekend

Happy Friday! My weekend started last night with a drive down to my parents' place! I'm sure today will be filled with shower prep and house prep for all the out of town guests coming. As per usual, I'm linking up with AndreaErika, and Narci for Friday Favorites!


Number One: Summer Scents

The bride gave us bridesmaids these Bath & Body Works items as our bridesmaids gifts (I briefly discussed the wedding here)! I haven't bought anything from BBW in a long time, even though I always love their scents. It's mostly a frugality thing, I generally buy cheap lotions from Target or the grocery store. But it was a delightful gift to receive and smells so summery!

Number Two: Switchin' it up!

As I said here, I am super low maintenance with my hair. It's styled the same all the time. Down, straight (but not straightened) or maybe in a ponytail if I can't make it look decent. I was reading posts from the favorite hair products link-up, and a lot of bloggers mentioned the Not Your Mother's Sea Salt Spray. I actually bought this a while back after I liked the NYM dry shampoo. I used it once and it just made my hair heavier and made it feel gross. But since everyone loved it, I decided to try again!
*Oh man do I hate taking selfies. I have a different smile for selfies of just me than I do for selfies with other people in them...my solo selfie smile says, "Oh my gosh this is so unnatural please be over now." Also, yes I put a filter on this picture because the fluorescent lighting at work (yeah I took a selfie at my desk, who's asking?) is not the most flattering.
I feel like the point of this product is just to spray it in wet hair, maybe scrunch it a little, and then it air dries amazingly. Well, it took me more effort. I showered at night, sprayed it on my damp hair, and put my hair in two buns. I woke up in the morning, hair sprayed the buns for good measure and kept them in as long as I could. When I took them out, I scrunched and hair sprayed some more. Honestly, I think what made the waves was the buns and the hair spray...not sure if I really even needed the sea salt spray. But switching up my hair style is a favorite! My boss and Michael both complimented me on it and I said to both of them, "I kind of feel like a cocker spaniel." Michael said it's nice to see it switched up every once in a while (it must've been crazy for him to see my hair straight, in an updo, and wavy all in the span of a couple days--way more variety than he's used to!).

Number Three: Waterfront Living

The Seattle waterfront is gorgeous. I'm fortunate enough to live just a couple blocks up from it. Seeing this view on my commute home every day definitely doesn't suck (it's even better when a ferry is going by!).
Don't just take my word for it, check out who ranked number one on this list of most beautiful commutes here! My friend/bridesmaid who lives in Madison, WI (ranked second!) sent me the link to that last night, and when I saw it I knew it would go perfectly with this favorite.

Number Four: Blogger Love!

I was just reading the blogs I follow one day, minding my own business, when I saw that Sammy at The Happy Chalkboard featured me in a roundup of her favorite blogs (here)! I wrestled with the idea of starting a blog. I didn't think I'd ever be able to think of things to write about! So for someone to consider my little blog one of their favorites is an honor! Sammy's blog is one of my favorites too! She's very real and genuine and her posts are always uplifting and positive. I really want to make a bad day box like she did, I think that's such a fun idea! Go check out her blog, and some of her other favorite blogs featured (I already read some of them before reading her post, and some of the ones I wasn't already reading got a follow from me!).

Number Five: Extreme Weight Loss

You guys...I LOVE this show. It's just so good. I mentioned yesterday that it's the only reality show I watch. The people on the show are always so strong. It's incredible what they accomplish in a year! They also usually have faced some sort of adversity earlier in life (often heart wrenching stories), so you're pulling for them even more. I don't even know how to explain why I like it so much, but it really draws me in.
source

Number Six: Cold Brew

Oh my gosh you guys. I don't know if you have a Tully's near you, but if you do, go and order the sweet brew (if you go to their website and sign up for emails, you get $1 off your next grande or veinte drink)! Michael and I went on Monday and he ordered the sweet brew and I ordered a vanilla latte...after trying his I immediately regretted my decision. It was seriously so good! It got Michael obsessed with cold brewing coffee, so he did it at home! It's the best. We had some to drink at the beginning of our road trip last night to keep us awake!

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

-Mattie

15 comments:

  1. BBW always has the best scents - especially when they smell like the beach! :) Your hair looks too cute that way! Sometimes I have trouble with my sea salt spray too and have to go over it with a curling iron, but it definitely helps hold the waves #straighthairprobs I just checked out Sammy's blog and love it! I love blog recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in Seattle?? I've always wanted to go there. I have some friends who live there and it just seems so beautiful!

    www.jenna-grace.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just kind of leary about trying products, too, so I tend to stick with what I know works for my natural curly hair. I'm seriously thinking about trying the Maroccan curl cream everyone is raving about, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your view of the waterfront makes me jealous!!! And when you said ferryboat, I shamefully thought of Grey's Anatomy which is my favorite show haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that view!! My little brother lives in Seattle and it was one of my favorite places growing up. I love NYC (which is where I live) but my goodness I am JEALOUS of your view. Beautiful.
    -Erin (No Bohns About It)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for blogger love! YOUR BLOG IS ONE OF MY FAVES TOO! :):) I love your beachy hair like that (even if it was a little hard). And also we switched places this week (me in SEA and you in PDX) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living on the waterfront would be amazing!! Your view everyday is perfect! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous of your extra long weekend! And your pretty beachy hair! Living on the waterfront must be awesome! I'd spend all my time outside then! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sea salt spray! I diffuse my hair after putting it in and it gives my hair lots of texture. Extreme Weight loss is such an uplifting show and Chris and Heidi are pretty great too:) they motivate me to workout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Literally love everything on this list! You are probably my new favorite now too :) Happy Friday xo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for summer scents and that fantastic waterfront view!! So glad that you mentioned Extreme Weight Loss! I'd forgotten a new season had kicked off and have been meaning to tune in! Those shows are so inspiring. :) Wishing you a lovely weekend, Mattie! xo - Brenda // Chatting Over Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had that view driving home everyday! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much to tell you!
    1) I have been dying to try that scent from BBW. I gotta get me some!
    2) Your hair looks great like that. I have hair probably about the same length as yours, so I need to try that out. Looks much more low-maintenance than what I do now!
    3) Your view ROCKS. I am sooooooooo jealous.
    4) Have a fun weekend!
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look beautiful in that selfie! I don't think you look awkward at all! Haha I must try that hair product though because I am the same with my hair...either straight or tied up in a knot on top of my head! The view in Seattle looks beautiful :) And I'm so glad you started a blog! I love reading!

    ReplyDelete