Northwest Native: Favorite Things: Hair Products

Monday, May 25, 2015

Favorite Things: Hair Products

If you read Wednesday's (very long) post, you'll know why this post will be very short. I'm linking up with Erika and Andrea for Favorite Things! Today's topic is favorite hair products.
These are the hair products I'm currently using. I guess I'd call two of them (dry shampoo & coconut oil) definite favorites, but the other ones do the job. I'm constantly switching out my hair products when I run out because I'm still trying to find the ones I can't live without. You can buy the products below from multiple places, but I'm just going to link to the retailer that I bought them from.
  1. Not Your Mother's Way to Grow Shampoo & ConditionerI'll admit, I'm not sure if this is a favorite or not, but it is what I'm currently using. I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. I know sulfate-free shampoo is supposed to be better for your hair, but when I was trying to wash out my coconut oil treatment, this stuff didn't do the trick. I would've had to use a whooole lot to get it all out. And the conditioner is not very thick. It's kind of puffy-looking like marshmallow cream, but without the thickness. So in the shower I'm cursing my choice of buying these. Later, when my hair dries, I think it may be softer than usual. Maybe with these I'm destined to hate the washing/conditioning process, but like the results.
  2. Batiste Dry Shampoo (Original): On days when I don't wash my hair, I use this. I used to use Not Your Mother's, and actually only picked this up because Ulta was sold out. An employee told me it was their best seller and I had heard good things in the blog world. I was intrigued by all the different scents and varieties this comes in, but I stuck with the original. I actually ended up loving this soo much more than the Not Your Mother's (which is what got me to stop washing every day in the first place). I never skipped more than one wash day before, but I've skipped three using Batiste, so that's saying something. (So unfortunately I've noticed that while this is great for my hair, it isn't necessarily for my clothes...when I was at graduation I kept randomly noticing dust on my black jumpsuit and couldn't figure out where it came from...it took me a looong time to realize it was the dry shampoo. I touch my hair pretty often, so that sucks. I wore a black dress to work last week and noticed it again too.)
  3. Nature's Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil: I love using coconut oil on my hair. Once a week or so (important: only when my wash day is the next morning!) I work this through my hair with my hands. I try to make sure it's saturated pretty well. I sleep with it in my hair and I wash it out thoroughly the next morning. It makes my hair feel so soft! I've only bought this once, and this is the brand I bought. I assume most brands would work the same.
  4. OGX Argan Oil of Morocco: On days when I wash my hair, I put a small amount of this in my hand, rub my palms together, and rub this in to the ends of my hair. (If you use a lot or put it too far up from the ends, it might look greasy.) This small bottle has lasted me months. If you follow the link, you'll see they even changed the marketing since I bought it (mine is called Argan Oil of Morocco, it's now called Moroccan Argan Oil). When I was looking for this on Target's website, I saw this and now I'm tempted to give that one a try.
Have you tried any of these? Do you love them or hate them? Any suggestions for other products I should try?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. Hi! I haven't tried any of these but am intrigued by the coconut oil. I keep hearing about how great it is for your hair... I'm going to pick some up! Thanks for the great suggestions! Oh, and I agree with you regarding the sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner - I never feel like it truly gets my hair clean. I'll use them once and a while (like maybe once a week), but I always go back to the regular stuff.
    Have a good week!
    "The Busy Brunette"
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try that dry shampoo out. I've heard coconut oil is good for your hair but I've never tried it, maybe I'll give that a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the link up-- I love all these products! I recently started using the Not Your Mothers Way to Grow and it's amazing! - Seri from www.serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that coconut oil is my absolute FAVORITE coconut oil OF ALL TIME.the other stuff just doesn't even compare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I know to keep buying that kind! I guess I was wrong when I said I thought they'd all work the same!

      Delete
  5. My mom swears by coconut oil for everything - hair, skin, you name it. Your hair care methods sound really similar to what I've been trying to adjust to. My super long hair is suddenly looking really damaged and I'm struggling with figuring out why. I'll have to start looking into coconut oil and similar care again. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use coconut oil on my arms too! I read online that it helps with karatosis pilaris (which is just redness and bumps that I unfortunately have!). I don't think it actually works...but it makes my arms really soft and it smells delicious so I keep doing it! :) My hair is super damaged too...but I really need a trim, so I think that's a big part of it currently!

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried any of these, but I think I should pick up that dry shampoo. I have been searching for one.

    ReplyDelete