Northwest Native: Help me I'm poor.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Help me I'm poor.

That's one of my favorite lines in Bridesmaids. I relate to it too much. We live in the heart of Seattle. We're about a 20-minute walk from downtown (including the flagship Nordstrom store--swoon), a few blocks from Pike Place Market, and just two blocks up from the waterfront. It's a great location, but it comes with a hefty price tag. We're in our second year here, and we're going to have to move somewhere cheaper after our lease is up in the fall, so I'm trying to soak up this time while I can!

Anyway, hefty rent plus two dogs and normal living expenses means I can't just buy whatever I want. I know it looks like I can based on my post yesterday, but those purchases were made over the course of a month or so, and I also had employed my new budget strategy. (Full disclosure: the Kate Spade bag and the two pairs of shoes were purchased before my budget was in place.)

I recently started selling clothes that I don't wear anymore or that don't fit me on Poshmark. I also put myself on a shopping ban after buying the Kate Spade. Listen...the shopping ban did not make me want to shop less. It just made me stress out about all the things I wanted that were going to pass me by! Then I decided, shouldn't my earnings from depleting my closet go to building it back up again?

So far, I've made enough selling my old clothes to buy six items of clothing, and I still have some money left to spend and some items left to sell. Has anyone else sold anything on Poshmark? It's so easy, I love it! Do you have a budgeting strategy? I didn't have one before, but there's no way I can sustain this Poshmark budget forever--or a shopping ban, as my last attempt proved--so I think after that's gone I'll try and calculate a monthly dollar amount I'm okay with spending and stick to it.

Aside from budgeting, I'm also always looking for a good deal. At Target or Old Navy, for example, I know they always have rotating deals, so I try to wait until one that I can use to my advantage comes up.

I'm linking up with Franish's Budgeting Bloggers!

And lastly, in honor of tomorrow being the first day of May...


...I had to!

-Mattie

4 comments:

  1. I need to check out this poshmark site immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I can relate. Both my husband and I are in school in different parts of the country=2 rent payments. Not fun. Budgeting and planning ahead has helped us so much in finding ways to travel and enjoy some of the luxuries in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping your title was a Bridesmaids reference (clicked over from Franish) -- such a great movie! I can totally relate to the budgeting challenge, I'm working on it too.

    I've had a lot of luck selling on eBay, I'm curious about Poshmark -- good luck!

    ReplyDelete